Friday, September 21, 2007

A ranger's feast

Last night I went to Top Meat, suppose to be a good place to eat and that is an understatement. The place is between Guaynabo and Bayamon. The first impression is that it is a gourmet store with some tables in the back to sit. Wine racks are everywhere, sorted by country. I was not in my comfort zone for the first 10 minutes. After a few, apparently obvious, questions on my part I got the feeling of the place. First you can go and hand pick your wine and every bottle has the price on the bottom :) The wine collection is obscene and the price range very good. After picking a well know wine a sat and the complementary artisan's bread was brought to the table with a plate of olive oil and pepper...If they had put a pound of bread I would had ate the whole thing. For appetizer we ask for a chorizos parrilleros that came with some tostones. As another complementary treat they brought us pana chips with pico de gallo...was I gona had space for the real meal?? The place became really homey and the conversation helped a lot to increase the experience. For me I ask for BISON medium with arroz manposteado...now I know why they are going extinct. The meat was so tender, rich and not overpower with condiments. Then another bottle of wine to match the experience. This time I went with something new to learn its taste. I was able to taste Wild Boar and Ostrich on the table. For dessert raisin bread pudding with ice cream...and a birthday candle :s I gave everyone a little piece because it was a HUGE piece. I also took a bite of a dark, really dark chocolate brownie and something with a custard that I forgot the name. Great service, excellent atmosphere...and if you want something from the store even if is not on the menu the can prepared for you.
I got home around 11pm and to my freaking surprise the whole drive way was empanetada :o I guess is not when I want to celebrate is when the DM feels like it.

No comments: